Spinal Stenosis Treatment From Our Chiropractor in Greenwood Village
If you’re suffering from inexplicable pains or other odd sensations in your neck, back or extremities, you may be one of the many individuals experiencing spinal stenosis. This form of nerve impingement can affect your spinal cord’s ability to relay signals throughout the rest of your body, interfering with your ability to control your muscles and/or causing a variety of unpleasant symptoms. But you don’t necessarily need surgery or other invasive treatment methods to relieve these discomforts — because our chiropractor in Greenwood Village, Dr. Johnson, can treat them using natural, conservative techniques.
What Is Spinal Stenosis?
Spinal stenosis involves the narrowing of a bony chamber known as the spinal canal. This is the area of free space within the spinal column that houses the spinal cord. The spinal canal doesn’t have a great deal of extra room in it to begin with, and it must accommodate a nerve trunk of about the same thickness as your thumb. It’s no wonder, then, that even a small abnormality in spinal structure or alignment can reduce the space to the point that the spinal cord is being pinched. Potential causes of spinal stenosis include:
- Chronic stress in vertebral joints (sometimes related to overuse injuries or spinal misalignment), which can produce bone spurs
- Herniated disc material filling up part of the spinal canal
- Soft tissue growth such as overly-thick spinal ligaments, tumors or other masses
- Acute injuries that dislodge vertebrae and discs out of their normal positions
There are two principal types of spinal stenosis, based on their location in the spinal column. They are:
- Lumbar spinal stenosis – Spinal stenosis in the lumbar region is a common cause of lower back pain. It may also create the leg pain, leg/foot tingling or numbness, and limb weakness associated with sciatica.
- Cervical spinal stenosis – Cervical spinal stenosis affects the spinal cord in the neck region. It can cause neurological effects similar to those of sciatica, only in the upper extremities (arms/hands).
Non-Surgical Stenosis Management at Genesis Wellness Clinic
As alarming as lower back pain and loss of physical function may be, some people find the idea of undergoing major surgery on these areas even more alarming, encouraging them to delay getting they help they need. That’s why you’ll be glad to know to Genesis Wellness Clinic can treat your symptoms without such invasive procedures. Our Greenwood Village chiropractor can evaluate your spine with great care to locate the cause of your spinal cord impingement. Chiropractic adjustments to the lower back can relieve lumbar spinal stenosis symptoms, while careful precise adjustments to the cervical spine can relieve cervical stenosis issues. We may also recommend exercises and lifestyle changes to help you keep these structures as pain-free as possible.
Call Our Greenwood Village Chiropractor
Don’t let cervical or lumbar spinal stenosis defeat you. Call our Greenwood Village chiropractor at (720) 515-8002 to schedule safe, non-surgical treatment!